Thursday, November 3, 2011

Baha'u'llah and his Writings

As mentioned in my earlier blog post, in this biography, I was craving for the author to get into the actual beliefs and writings of Baha'u'llah. And in chapter 7, that is exactly what the author did. And I have to say, I found the things that Baha'u'llah believed to be extremely interesting.

First of all, I have always had a problem with prophets or religious writers claiming that the scripture they write are the actual words of god. I think this is a common belief in many religions. I do not know much about the bible, but Augustine firmly believed that the scripture were the actual words of God, and Baha'u'llah and his followers also believed that he was writing the actual words of God. I still do not think that the scripture we read are the exact words of God, but the testimony given by 'Azizu'llah Varqua, who was only 9 years old when he made a pilgrimage with his father to visit Baha'u'llah, gives a very compelling and convincing argument that Baha'u'llah's writings were indeed the words of God.

Varqua explains that when Baha'u'llah would get inspiration or have a revelation about something, he would order everyone in the room to leave while the words were being revealed to him. Varqua, being a curious boy, longed to see the revelation proccess Baha'u'llah did not allow others to see. Varqua accidentally went to see Baha'u'llah during one of these revelations, and his experience was extremely profound. He recalls
I stood near the door which I had entered, and was only a few moments in the room when I began trembling in my whole body. I felt I could not stand any more on my feet. His Holiness Baha'u'llah turning to me said 'Goodbye'. As I lifted the curtain to go out, I fell on the threshold and was unconscious... Then I understood why Baha'u'llah in haste dismissed everybody. It is because the people cannot endure it, there is such a Power in the room (139).
 This testimony was also powerful for me to read, and it caused me to slightly question my view that scripture cannot really be the exact words of God. This is a first hand witness account of something that seems too great to handle. I would say I am still up in the air about my thoughts regarding scripture as actually being written by God, which is nothing new. I seem to be up in the air about everything relating to religion, but this first hand account caused me to question my view, which I like. Being challenged to think about something different can be intellectually stimulating and fun to do.

2 comments:

  1. I also noticed this piece of story when i read the book. I share the same uncertainness about how scriptures are the words of Gods. After reading this piece of story, i think i am even more uncertain about scriptures are the words of God, since this story, although being the first hand account, is too magical to believe. In the story, the unbearable energy seems unbelievable. I have to say, i would really love to hear about little stories like this in any religion, but i am not sure whether i can treat them as real historical events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey - Good post. I find this a very interesting read. I would still find it not likely that Baha'u'llah's writings were the words of God. Even though the story is very convincing, I think that as a 9 year old boy, that experience that 'Azizu'llah Varqua experienced would be very frightening, and thus he reacted the way he did. I know I'd be scared of a situation like that. And this brings up the idea in me that when I was younger and I used to believe in God, all the happenings at church were seemingly very extravegant and full of dramatic feelings. But now it seems like just strange things that priests do during the ceremony. without that aura of factuality and moods and emotions, religious action seems unimportant. And I think that getting rid of these things when looking at religion is important; to llok at it from a objective point of view.

    Though, it is always good to be challenged with a different point of view.

    ReplyDelete